Ok.. thank you all for your help.  I now have ProFTPD installed.  Though,
I still don't know what to do to get it working.  I typed "service proftpd
start" and it started ok.

The config is the original base set up for anonymous login.  I don't want
that.  I just want to allow certain individuals, such as myself, ftp
access.

All of the previous suggestions made here on this mail list have been
lost.  My hard drive crashed a few days ago, and I have lost everything
not saved on CD, including emails.

Anyway, I have ProFTPD running, I just need a good configuration file to
allow specific users.

Thanks again.

james