On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 14:01, Ronald J. Hall wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 October 2003 03:31 pm, Jack Coates wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 12:19, Norman Zhang wrote:
> > > So it is a good practice to setup multiple swap partitions on different
> > > drives. LM knows how make best use of it?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Norman
> >
> > yes
>
> Hmm, I thought (referring to an earlier part) that the "twice as big as
> physical ram" rule of thumb only went up to x size, say about 400-500 megs or
> so? I thought it was wasteful (short of doing video editing or something
> rather intensive like that) to say, have a gig of mem and make a 2 gig swap
> out of HD space.
>
> Or did I dream that?
>
> I've got 512m of ram now - I just don't think I need 1 gig of swap space.
>
> Anyways, somebody enlighten us. :-)

a) rules of thumb are always at least a little wrong
b) is it wasteful if you only use it every few months? How about once a
year?

In all honesty, I hardly ever touch swap; it's my safety net for runaway
processes and the occassional heavy-duty Gimp-ing. If I see the swap
meter on gkrellm moving, I immediately open a terminal and sudo top,
cause something needs killing :-)

All that goes out the window if your work pattern does rely on swap
(e.g. a graphic designer, or anyone using Gentoo). In that case, I'd say
devoting two or three percent of the disk space to swap is no big deal.
--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...