On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 05:01:46PM -0400, Ronald J. Hall wrote:
> Hmm, I thought (referring to an earlier part) that the "twice as big as
> physical ram" rule of thumb only went up to x size, say about 400-500 megs or
> so? I thought it was wasteful (short of doing video editing or something
> rather intensive like that) to say, have a gig of mem and make a 2 gig swap
> out of HD space.

What I've been told in the past (albeit on Red Hat, but that shouldn't
matter much) is, that with a 2.4.x kernel you do indeed need 2xRAM due
to the way 2.4 allocates memory. Under 2.2.x, I happily used swap just
up to the amount of total memory I envisaged to be necessary.
Unfortunately, I'm not a kernel expert, so I don't know the exact
reasoning behind this advice for 2.4.x.

Cheerio,

Thomas
                Thomas Ribbrock    http://www.ribbrock.org