L.V.Gandhi wrote:
I would like to get opinions from those possesing linux compatible notebooks without any driver problem. Further I would like to ask those possessing intel centrino based notebooks their usability in linux for wireless connection. Mine will be general purpose using productivity apps and also video and audio playing from cds and dvds in addition to internet oriented jobs.

I used to have an IBM ThinkPad that worked great. The only down-side was a WinModem, but even so I was able to download a proprietary Lucent driver for it.

Currently, I am using a no-name model from www.powernotebooks.com. They sell non-branded notebooks at good discounts (comparable to Dell), and by default the notebooks come WITHOUT WINDOWS! Ironically, I ended up ordering mine preinstalled with WinXP Pro (for professional reasons), but I immediately re-partitioned the drive and installed Mandrake 9.1 on it. Everything worked out of the box (including Radeon video w/ 3d acceleration, AC97 sound, integrated NIC, and combo CDRW/DVD drive) except the winmodem, which I have never bothered to try, so I don't know if it is possible. The company even has several user support fora on their site, including one devoted to running Linux on their systems. All in all, I've been very happy with this unit.

--
Dave Sherman - MCSE, MCSA, CCNA

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
  for you are crunchy, and good with ketchup.