> I would like to get opinions from those possesing linux compatible
> notebooks
> without any driver problem. Further I would like to ask those possessing
> intel centrino based notebooks their usability in linux for wireless
> connection. Mine will be general purpose using productivity apps and also
> video and audio playing from cds and dvds in addition to internet oriented
> jobs.
> --

As of this writing, Centrino wireless does not work with Linux. There were
some postings before Centrino was released that Linux would, in fact, be
supported. This was entirely marketing hype because there's no working
drivers available (I just spent days trying on a Compaq X1000). Also, the
power level indicator does not work correctly with RedHat 9 or Mandrake
9.1 on the above X1000. I've tried rebuilding with various patches found
throughout the web but it was unreliable. I personally won't buy a
Centrino notebook until Intel supports Linux fully.

I don't have many other newer notebooks but here's my experience with the
older ones that I own:

Toshiba Satellite 4090XDVD -- older, but everything works (sound, video,
modem)

IBM Thinkpad T22 (800MhZ) -- older, everything also works.

Dell Inspiron 3500 -- ancient, no sound (NeoMagic chipset)
--
The Digital Hermit      Unix and Linux Solutions
http://www.digitalhermit.com