On Wednesday 15 October 2003 09:12 am, Daniel Axtell wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if it's possible to make backups of dvd's under linux, e.g.
> keep the original pristine and play the backup dvd-r copy.  I haven't been
> able to find out much about this.  Is there any software that makes this
> easy?

There is software to do this but making backups of commercial (in most cases
double density) DVD's that are playable on consumer DVD players is not
trivial.  That is true for both Linux and Windows.  Doing this involves
identifying the vob files that contain the movie that you want, ripping the
vob files from the DVD, passing it through a decoder or plugin to DeCSS the
vob file, removing Macrovision and Country code (if desired) at the same
time, editing the .ifo file to remove references to vob files that are no
longer present and rewriting the decoded vobs and .ifo file to the DVD blank
in the correct format.

I also can't imagine why you would want to, playing a DVD in a player is not
the same as playing a vinyl record, there is no wear on the DVD and it should
remain fairly pristine (assuming that you don't manhandle the media) for your
lifetime if not longer.

Take a look at the DVDRip interface from PLF.

--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer