On Wednesday 15 October 2003 09:44 pm, lorne wrote:

> I can tell you one VERY good reason to do this. Well more than one. :)
> My children are not old enough to jump through all the hoops of wide
> format, normal format and all of other 7 minutes worth of hoop jumping to
> just watch the blame movie! I had a brand new Shrek. My 3 year old put it
> in on top of another disk in my juke box. It scratched it so badly it no
> longer plays. So from now on I use a windows product (until I find
> something like it for linux) called DVDXcopy Gold. Wonderful product. Now I
> keep my originals safely tucked away, and the kids pop this sucker in and
> it starts playing like a tape. It is GREAT!

I really doubt that you are going to find an open-source Linux replacement for
that type of software.  Currently, IIRC, the manufacturers are being sued by
the MPAA for DMCA violations relating to their reverse engineering of the CSS
system.  Open-source developers simply don't have the funds from sales to
fight those types of lawsuits.

Shouldn't be hard to duplicate the functionality though, there are several
projects that could be coupled together that will duplicate that.  Matter of
fact, as long as you aren't wanting to deCSS or deMacrovision the copy, I
could probably do this from a command line without very many problems at all,
just by ripping the vob files for the main movie, pulling the ifo file,
editing the ifo to remove the extra features and then building the iso image
and burning to a DVD.

BTW, if you put a DVD in a player, regardless of how many menus or alternate
features are on the disk, hitting the play button a couple of times will
cause the movie to play in all of the cases that I know of.  With kids, it is
better to teach them to use the player play button and keep them away from
the remote.  Wouldn't help with 3 year-olds handling the media though.

--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer