James Sparenberg wrote:

On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 21:01, Joeb wrote:

Greg Meyer wrote:

On Wednesday 15 October 2003 11:25 pm, Joeb wrote:

Evidently, the 9.2 ISOs don't contain the kernel-sources.  They exist
on the 9.2 tree on the ftp sites, but not on the CDs I DLd.  Is it
just my CDs or were the ISOs bad (again).  I can DL the sources, but
it would have been nice if they were included!  Does anyone know of
any other files missing from the ISOs that are in the tree?

I downloaded the PowerPack iso's and it is on CD3 of that set. There is actually a lot of stuff in main that is not on the 3 cd's. It just won't all fit on 3 cd's. But if you set up a 9.2 mirror as a urpmi source, any package you want installed will be automatically downloaded and installed.

I understand that not everything can fit on the three CDs, but for the basic 3 CD download set, the third CD isn't full, so it appears that there would have been room. It's really pretty poor that the kernel sources aren't included as many people need to compile things! I'm wondering if and when the ISOs are put on FTP servers if this will be fixed? If not, then a lot of people will be turned off by Mandrake. I can only assume if people order CDs from Mandrake or CheapBytes that they don't have a high speed connection. If that's the case, then setting up a 9.2 mirror as a source won't work. Further more, as many 9.1 mirrors are being deleted (as I type), it would mean that if you run 9.2 longer than six months, you lose your ability to reinstall something that wasn't on the CDs.

Just my 2 cents.

Joeb

My 3rd CD is 696 MB granted that 4 megs short of full but not enough
for the kernel source. For that I recommend urpmi.

James

Wouldn't it make more sense to leave out some of the documentation (kernel docs are there 3 times, apache twice and lots of other stuff). Maybe we don't need all of those kernels on the CDs, there are quite a few now. Without the kernel source, you can't compile NVidia drivers or winmodem drivers or other sources that require the kernel headers!

Not everybody has a high speed internet connection, so the simple solution of urpmi doesn't work for something as important as a the kernel headers/sources. We're not talking 100s of megabytes, just 40MB. IIRC, the kernel sources were included with the betas and release candidates, so if they could fit then, why not now. Also, isn't the idea of a release candidate to be a test of the final release? If the packages have been deleted, then how is it a test?

Anyway, a lot of people will end up needing the kernel sources, so why would they purposely be ommitted (and what was added that caused the need to delete them)?

Joeb