Hello Anne,

Sunday, October 19, 2003, 12:18:33 PM, you wrote:

AW> Quite apart from the time I spend on this, it makes me very angry
AW> that she takes every precaution a non-geek can be expected to
AW> take, and  yet still she suffers this regularly.

My suggestions -

Remove **ALL** M$ software from the computer, except the OS (as best
you can since it's 'all OS'). Especially do not allow access to
Outlook or IE. Remove ANY way to launch these.

I am VERY interested in security and privacy, and have looked at
several apps to make Win systems safe on BOTH counts.

For email, the MOST secure app I know of, by far, is TheBat. It does
not use ANY Win components, even for HTML. I have never heard of a
successful exploit for TB. As to settings, it can be set to simply NOT
open certain kinds of attachments, even if someone tries (unless they
reconfigure, of course). It can also be set to give BIG, nasty,
multiple warnings if someone tries to open a 'baddie'. You'd have to
be pretty dense to do it anyway. Even the most rank newbies can
understand the plain language of these warnings. I know of no safer
email client for Win. The bad news is that it costs $40, but that's it
for several years of reliable operation. There are a ton of other
features too.

A lot of bad stuff comes via the web, especially if you are concerned
about privacy. My favorite browser is Opera, again because it uses no
Win components. The key to browsing safely and with a bit of privacy
is to use a proxy, no matter which browser you use. I favor
Proxomitron and DNSkong. Together, they can give an essentially
ad-free browsing experience, also blocking almost all the snoops. You
can get configuration info, including pre-configured files and many
details at http://www.geocities.com/yosponge/ .

Put in a firewall. For firewalls, I used to use Zone Alarm, but moved
to Kerio. Much better, IMHO. Kerio is going through some upheaveals
now, and I would NOT use their latest version. Get version 2.1.4 or
2.1.5. yosponge also has good sets of pre-configured firewall rules
for Kerio. You'll be solid as a rock with it. Sygate is also good, if
you're a bit nervous about the current status of Kerio.

If at all possible, use a small router ahead of the computer, even if
there is only one computer. This isolates the OS and improves safety a
LOT. If possible, get one with an SI firewall built in.

My preferred newsreader is Agent, if you need one. It is also solid as
a rock, and has some very nice features.

I'm an old-fashioned type who likes to use an app for each thing I do.
I dislike this everything-does-everything approach of M$.

AW> As to where they come from - I  think without exception they have
AW> come from people who send their  mails through their work account,
AW> in local hospitals!

Of course. The M$ address book is NOT your friend, and should be
BLANK! Empty it if it is not. The above apps have address books
separate from the M$ book, and are safe.

Just a few ideas...

--

 rikona                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]