On Wednesday 22 Oct 2003 5:07 pm, Charlie M. wrote:
> October 22, 2003 03:23 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > As for how it works, I thought that only Outlook address books
> > were vulnerable to this.  She keeps her av up to date, and did
> > not send any mails after the report, apart from the one to me
> > when I asked her to send the av report file, so hopefully she
> > hasn't infected anyone else.
>
> Since the worm uses it's own smtp engine or co-opts the Windows one
> it may not matter whether she sent anything, and it would have been
> possible for the worm to send copies of itself to any system that
> it could find with it's own scanning facility. With her address I
> do believe. Without any record in sent mail.

Not a nice thought.

> > She isn't on a lan, and she doesn't use file-sharing programs, so
> > that part's OK.
>
> Is she connected by dial-up or a broadband connection? If the
> latter the "network" she uses to access the web can be treated as a
> lan by the worm. It will scan for any vulnerable system on any type
> of network it's connected to.

She's on dial-up, so that at least is in our favour.

> > She would not have filled in an email details request form
> > without asking me - she plays safe every time - nor would she
> > have allowed the fake windows update.  I had sent her reminders
> > to avoid the fake M$ emails and she would have made the
> > connection.  I'll do extra checks for the files it mentions, but
> > hopefully we have got rid of it this time.
>
> I certainly hope so Anne. I do know what !fun you're going through.
> From personal experience. I also know what the next two weeks (at
> the very least) are going to be like for me. The only good part of
> it is that I usually end up with a few more members of the Mandrake
> Family every time something such as this happens.
>
> So I suppose it's worth the work and aggravation.
>
> > As soon as she is back home and working I'll get her av
> > registration details so that I can talk to Kaspersky about how we
> > can ensure that such things are caught 'at the door'.  Although I
> > can see how OE would be a priority for them, I think it's
> > unlikely that other mail apps can't have that protection.
> >

> I hope the manufacturer of her av application is more enlightened
> than some of the MS "Partners."

Hopefully.

> Best of luck with keeping the system clean Anne. I think we'll all
> need all of the luck we can get.
>
> <feel good>
> Time to disconnect this system and deliver it. My son should be
> pleased with 9.2 I think. If he doesn't he can work on his own
> damned system. (-; </feel good>

The good news is that she will be starting a new job in around 3
months.  Soon the worst of the current pressure will be over for her,
and I'm look at whether it's possible to give her Mandrake and
win4lin to cope with her needs.  If she can keep the Internet part
out of Windows it should help.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302