On Sunday 26 October 2003 09:33 am, Michael Holt wrote:
> Good morning,
> Iīve got another msec question.  I was working on a different
> computer  on my lan and hadnīt put itīs id in my hosts file on my
> server yet.  I was lazy and didnīt feel like getting on a system
> which had access (for ssh that is) so I was trying different toys
> to see which had access.  I couldnīt get on user accounts using
> ftp, or ssh, etc, but then I tried telnet and got right in.  I
> though, īhmm, thatīs odd...ī
> Iīm also able to get in using my domain name - which Iīm not able
> to do using ssh.  Iīm confused; why can I telnet get right in but
> ssh is blocked?  I know the obvious answer - remove telnet from
> the server - but I would like more information about this before
> removing the symptom.

I would guess that something is either not configured correctly, you have
installed some software that has changed the default settings, or you are
hitting a different machine than you think you are hitting.  I have tried
this on my web server which is also set to msec level 4 and it does NOT work.
Telnet connections are refused, just like SSH was initially until I opened
that up using hosts.allow.

It is possible that you have altered your hosts.deny file and the cron job
that is supposed to change it back simply hasn't run yet, but it should get
around to it.  However, default at msec level 4 is to create a hosts.deny
file that denies all.  Until you explicitly allow connections in hosts.allow
or remove hosts.deny, it should be refusing all connections.
--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer