Bill Mullen mused:

> I don't run telnet (naturally <g>), but I'd guess that access to
> it is
> probably controlled by xinetd, rather than by /etc/hosts.allow. If
> that's
> the case, you'll have an /etc/xinetd.d/telnet[d] file where this
> sort of
> thing can be configured. After you've made any changes to that
> file, the
> xinetd service would need to be restarted, for those changes to
> "take".

Actually, I was just playing with my linux box earlier and found
that I can indeed ssh into the server.  When I had the trouble, I
had been running Windows 2000 from the same box.

Some background...

I have several small hddīs that a friend gave me (4G) which I use
to configure different systems on so that I can get familiar with
them.  I loaded win2k on such a drive and put it in a pull out bay
and booted the system.  I just used the same static ip that the
regular system uses īcause I didnīt want to add another host to my
server.  This was fine except that the machine name was different.
 I added that to the hosts file on the server.  Anyway, I assume
that my original problem must have been that I didnīt identify the
Windows box the same as the linux box (ip, machine name, fqdn).

As far as the telnet-server - done ;)  I actually hadnīt realized
that I had the server part installed -- doh!

> Be sure to "urpme telnet-server" sometime soon, though! ;)
>
> HTH!

Yes!  It does!  Thanks

--
Michael Holt