On Saturday 01 November 2003 01:58 pm, Richard Bown wrote:

> So went to load MDK 9.2 on it, starts up finds both HD's  but fails to
> get an interrupt response and says protection level >= 1.
> So disconnect the first HD and swap over the cables so the second HD
> looks like the only drive.... same again :((
> load a dos floppy with fdisk on it and delete the primary partition.
> try yo install MDK9.2 and 9.1 and 8.2 ....same damn thing with interupt
> failure and protection.
> swap the HD over to second IDE and disable primary IDE in the bios so
> now looking at INT 15.....same B**DDy thing  !!!!!.
>

> put the original primary HD back in boot up in WinXP and guess what
> second HD shown as 40 GB NTFS.
>
> This is not the first time I've had major probs installing MDK after
> winxp has been on a HD..

Problem has nothing to do with the fact that WinXP has already been on the
drive.  See below.

> From what I've seen its on different MOBOs different size HDs..
>
> So what happens to the newbie who gets a bit fed up with gates and buys
> a MDK package, ?
> a system that wont load is disastrous.

Come to the mailing lists to see how the problem can be fixed.

> any ideas how I can get that crap off the mbr so I can load mdk 9.2 ???.
> I also think Mandrake needs to combat this ..

These problems you describe generally relate to the i/o APIC cuasing trouble,
especially with a VIA chipset.  You didn't sya what motherboard you have, but
booting the install kernel with the parameters noapic and acpi=off should fix
you right up.  At the splash screen, hit escape and then type

linux noapic acpi=off

Yes acpi and apic are different, so type it exactly as I have written it.
--
/g

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book, inside
a dog it's too dark to read" -Groucho Marx