On Saturday 01 November 2003 05:42 pm, Richard Bown wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 19:20, Greg Meyer wrote:
> > > This is not the first time I've had major probs installing MDK after
> > > winxp has been on a HD..
> >
> > Problem has nothing to do with the fact that WinXP has already been on
> > the drive.  See below.
>
> I really must disagree with you on this Greg, if this was so , how come
> I can move a drive thats had winxp, into a machine thats happily running
> linux and get problems on an install, normally when the partition table
> is written ??

Well, I can't think of anything specifically about WinXP that would cause this
kind of problem.  The NTFS filesystem is nothing but a filesystem, a
repartition and reformat should be all that is necessary.  I am puzzled
because I personally have never experienced what you are talking about (WinXP
causing this trouble) and I have installed a lot of Mandrake systems on top
of disks that used to have ntfs on them.

> > > So what happens to the newbie who gets a bit fed up with gates and buys
> > > a MDK package, ?
> > > a system that wont load is disastrous.
> >
> > Come to the mailing lists to see how the problem can be fixed.
>
> I get the impression you mean the newbie list ?

I was just pointing out in a kind of tongue in cheek way that you came to the
right place for help, and a newbie should do the same.

> > > any ideas how I can get that crap off the mbr so I can load mdk 9.2
> > > ???. I also think Mandrake needs to combat this ..

Be very careful, but you could boot into rescue mode and at a console type

dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/hda

This will completely overwrite your disk with nothing.

> > These problems you describe generally relate to the i/o APIC cuasing
> > trouble, especially with a VIA chipset.  You didn't sya what motherboard
> > you have, but booting the install kernel with the parameters noapic and
> > acpi=off should fix you right up.  At the splash screen, hit escape and
> > then type
> >
> > linux noapic acpi=off
> >
> > Yes acpi and apic are different, so type it exactly as I have written it.
>
> I'll try it , but I'm extremely sceptical

Unless I am missing something that you have not brought up, the errors you are
describing generally refer to the IDE controller itself and not the hard
drive.  I/O APIC and ACPI problems generally cause interrupts to not get
assigned properly, so frequent symptoms include nics and usb ports not
working and lost interrupts on drive channels.
--
/g

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book, inside
a dog it's too dark to read" -Groucho Marx