From: Artemio [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 10:15 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [expert] Red Hat ends free product line

> Lawson, Jim wrote:
> > What does this mean for the future of Mandrake?
> > I know that Mandrake is based on red hat's rpm's..

> Franki wrote:
> No,

The reason I moved to mandrake was that it is not redhat. :-)

I had RH 7.3 running for more than a year. Then RH 8.0 came out and it was
crap. Then I tried mdk 9.0 and was impressed but was too lazy to migrate.
Then I installed mdk 9.1 and - uhmmm, interesting. I didn't even think to
look at RH 9.0.

And finally with 9.2 - it got me! - I migrated my whole thing (development,
databases etc.) to it and I'm very happy!

> I imagine this is good news for mandrake as there will be a ton of
> redhat users looking around for a new distro...

Yes, I just talked to a friend of mine that keeps on using RedHats and I
told
him: what will you do? He said "I dunno...". Then I offered him mandrake to
try out... :-)

I think mandrake has a great future as a world's no.1 desktop, multimedia
and
development distro. The main thing for mdk cookers to keep in mind is
compatibility with other distros - just to be sure there will be no problems

compiling sources.

Artemio.