On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 08:17, Artemio wrote:
> > This must be due to Mandrake's signing on to the LSB? Or is that
> > something different?
>
> Well, I didn't mean I had any problems compiling anything on mdk.
>
> I just say cookers must keep this good thing!!! :-)
>
> Maybe I'm not exactly correct, but there should be a binary compatibility as
> well. Because sometimes you have an old, old binary that you can't get
> sources of and it simply doesn't work - segfaults all the time. But all other
> binaries from rh 7.3 work fine.
>
> I have one old but great software synthesizer - juno6. It was released by some
> guys for free, but not opensource. It runs on redhat 7.3 perfectly but on
> mandrake it crashes immediately with a segfault.

The difference in libs between RH7.3 (MDK 8.2 time) and now are so great
as to make a number of older compiled binaries choke.  The biggest
difference is that RH7.3(MDK8.2) is compiled with gcc2.9x and now it's
gcc3.x The incompatibility is there.  Remember that the distro's aren't
Linux, but rather packagers of Linux.  So they are subject to the
problems there.

James