I will try this and thanks for your help. It is much appreciated.

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Backlund [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 11:52 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [expert] shore wall

From: "Lawson, Jim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> This was the default except for 1000 and 3128. It doesn't work anyway that
> is why I am asking.
> 10000 us webmin. I hate running to the server to manage it.
>
> What I would like is to have everything bound to eth0 and deny all but ssh
> to eth1.

then you should have this in /etc/shorewall/interfaces
--- cut ---
net        eth1         detect
loc        eth0         detect
#LAST LINE -- ...
--- cut ---

and this in /etc/shorewall/rules
---cut---
#ACTION    SOURCE    DEST    PROTO    DEST    SOURCE     ORIGINAL
#                                                                     PORT
PORT(S)    DEST
#
ACCEPT        net             fw            tcp         22

# accsess from lan to the firewall (ssh, dns, ipp, squid, webmin)
ACCEPT          loc             fw          tcp      22, 53, 631,3128, 10000
ACCEPT          loc             fw          udp     53

# Let the services on the firewall get net access (dns, squid http port)
ACCEPT          fw              net         tcp     53, 80
ACCEPT          fw              net         udp    53

# Special Samba rules between the lan and the firewall
ACCEPT         loc             fw           udp     137:139,445
ACCEPT         loc             fw           tcp     137,139,445
ACCEPT         loc             fw           udp     1024:            137
ACCEPT         fw              loc          udp     137:139,445
ACCEPT         fw              loc          tcp     137,139,445
ACCEPT         fw              loc          udp     1024:            137
---cut---

this is all you need as the conntrack modules keeps the returning
info/packets happy, and you should have a secured firewall...

then restart shorewall, and let me know if it works...

--
Regards

Thomas