James Sparenberg wrote:

>> well, it doesn't worry me, it's just annoying :)
>>
>> Thanks for trying. I'll keep an eye on your harddrive - top - thread,
>> it would be nice to have a utility like that.
>> /Björn
>
>   The questions I would have (Yeah I know more questions no answers
> *grin* ) are
>
> 1.  Does this happen when you log into other WM's like Ice or Gnome
> etc.  This will narrow the problem down to something kde related or
> not.  dividing the world in half.

Well, I like Kde so much, I don't have any other wm installed.
I'll try installing blackbox or fluxbox...
<later>
Now, when I've installed Fluxbox, I notice NO disk activity.
(Writing this in Fluxbox, I like the silence, but it's a bit sparse)

> 2.  Could you do an ls of /etc/rc.d/rc5.d and post that.  It will tell
> us what gets started just for runlevel 5 for sure.

Won't do a whole lot of difference now, but here goes.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] bnl]$ ls /etc/rc5.d/
S03iptables@    S12syslog@   S25netfs@      S44acpid@   S65dhcrelay@
S90webmin@
S04acpi@        S13slpd@     S25shorewall@  S55sshd@    S75keytable@
S92lisa@
S05harddrake@   S14nfslock@  S26apmd@       S56xinetd@  S80spamassassin@
S98postgresql@
S05lm_sensors@  S18sound@    S30dm@         S60cups@    S85httpd@
S99devfsd@
S10network@     S20random@   S40atd@        S60nfs@     S85numlock@
S99linuxconf@
S11portmap@     S20xfs@      S40saslauthd@  S65dhcpd@   S90crond@
S99local@

In addition, a comparison with chkconfig --list reveals that the only
service thats on in runlevel 5, and not in runlevel 3 is dm
(diplaymanager?) which makes sense.

> I'm running the same setup as you 9.1 + kde3.1.4 from Texstar + reiserfs
> and don't have this condition.  So something you have that I don't is
> doing it.

Well, it's a nice setup, don't you think :)

Well, that concludes that Kde really is the culprit, doesn't it.
But what in Kde?

/Björn