Yes.  In fact that is how I'm intending to target the CLR and JVM in my own
environment -- whether I successfully implement the ability to use Factor (the
language) inside my platform or not.   I was envisioning something like a
combination of direct byte code generation (either MSIL or JVM byte code)
together with whatever programmatic facilities are necessary for fixing up
metadata tokens, invoking the respective jit compilers and the like.  This
could just as easily be done from the existing Factor environment as any custom
environment I manage to construct and in a perfect world Factor code created in
either environment would compile and execute in the other just fine.

You Factor guru types might be scratching your heads and wondering why on earth
I would want to reproduce the factor booting mechanism in my own environment
and build it on top of my own foundations instead of just using what Slava has
already put so much work into.  The answer is that while I'm not sure that this
will be necessary (i might be able to get away with the DLL-ized version of
Factor itself; I'm in major research mode about it as we speak), I suspect I
may need to roll my own in order to integrate at as deep a level as I need with
other language facilities I already have in place.

That's as much as I'm going to say about it, because I don't want to commandeer
the FactorCode.org airwaves to talk about my stuff.  But whatever I end up
doing, I do expect to give back to the community in the way of documentation of
what I learn along the way.

Sent from my iPhone