--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter Sutphen
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- L B Shriver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > drug, when a
> > available?
> > >
> > > Interesting observation.
> >
> > @@@@@@@@@
> >
> > Consider the source. MAV guys, since the beginning,
> > have been propagating the doctrine
> > that "ayurvedic" (not always distinguished from
> > proprietary) remedies have no undesirable
> > side effects. The Caraka Samhita, however, clearly
> > lists contraindications and side effects
> > for many of its herbal remedies.
> >
> > One result of the proprietary indoctrination that I
> > have observed over the years is an
> > unreasonable bias against all allopathic remedies on
> > the part of susceptible TMers. I think
> > it is documentable, at least in principle, that this
> > bias has resulted in some fatalities in the
> > meditating community.
> >
> > I have seen significant evidence in the media that
> > Ecstasy has been the target of the same
> > kind of government-based disinformation in recent
> > years that marihuana was during the
> > thirties, forties, and beyond. In other words,
> > largely bogus. [I am NOT suggesting that they
> > are equally "harmless", I am just noting
> > similarities in the way they have been branded by
> > the government.]
> >
> > As a general principle, I am aware of no drugs that
> > are completely free of side effects or
> > other risks for at least a significant percentage of
> > the population. Nevertheless, this does
> > not strike me as a compelling argument for
> > abandoning the use of all allopathic remedies
> > just because putative Ayurvedic remedies are
> > available.
> >
> > In fact, I spotted something on the web recently
> > indicating Ecstasy was being licensed for
> > research in treating PTSD, based on observations of
> > its clinical use by psychiatrists. I think
> > it would be sad if the "government-anti" and the
> > "proprietary-anti" forces teamed up to
> > deny sufferers of potential relief just because the
> > drug in question didn't serve their
> > partisan agenda.
> >
> > L B S
>
> Now being in a position to see the benefits of
> antidepressant and anti-psychotic medication I realize
> that I knew a number of people in the TM community
> that would have benefited tremendously from taking
> these drugs. One reason they never were used was this
> overwhelming belief that such medications would would
> slow down or stop your "evolution" and that TM was
> always the answer to any psychological/psychiatric
> disorder.
> -Peter

At least one ayurvedic MD in FF prescribes antidepressants.  My
impression is that they're no longer strictly taboo on campus.

Taking a blanket anti or pro drug approach towards psychological
problems is silly.  The answer depends on the problem, the dose and
the therapeutic setting.  Large amounts of ecstacy at a rave is
completely different from a prescribed dosage as part of a counseling
session.  The same principle applies to TM -- hundreds of people have
flipped out on long rounding courses; does mean 20 minutes twice a day
should be banned for everyone?  We've already discussed the ayurveda
mercury situation here.  For TM TBs to be anti drugs in all cases is
hypocritical, their own meditation practice and ayurvedic substances
are very dangerous if not done properly.