On May 9, 2005, at 5:13 PM, anonymousff wrote:

> It seems to me that the karma line of reasoning isn't very
> worthwhile. The Hindu tradition tells us that the course of karma is
> unfathomable. That implies to me that nothing definitive can ever be
> said about it, even amongst those who subscribe to the theory.

It is only certain aspects of karma that are "unfathomable"--"dridha
karma".

A detailed description of karma is a lengthy and detailed subject but
most
present it in a rather superficial way.

The Law of Karma can be simply stated as 'as you sow, so you shall
reap'.
Newton's third law of motion "for every action there is an opposite and
equal reaction" also states the basic theme of karma, the doctrine of
karman
(action) and phala (fruit of action).

Karmas are divided into four categories:

a. Sanchita (lit. "heaped together") which is the sum total of all past
actions, known and unknown.

b. Prarabdha karma ("ready-to-be-experienced karmas") which is that
piece of
Sanchita karma that will be experienced by a person in THIS lifetime.
It may
simply appear as "fate" or "destiny". A person will only experience
those
actions which ripen for a particular space and time.

c. Kriyamana karma or "current karmas" is the potential effects of
current
actions. We can, by force of will, create new actions. We are not mere
puppets of past actions.

d. Agama karma or "approaching karmas" are actions you take based on
insight
into your own destiny.

These karmas can be experienced at different levels of intensity. These
are:

1. Dridha karma are karmas which are essentially fixed and we cannot
change
them. They can be pleasureable or non-pleasurable. These are events
which
just "happen" and we cannot do anything to change the outcome, despite
our
most strident efforts.

2. Dridha-Aridha karma are karmas that can be changed through spiritual
practice or application of free will.

3. Aridha karma are results which are easily avoided or altered.

Karma is generally difficult to fathom, esp. unknown karmas, simply
because
we view the world from the perspective of a finite mind. The Law of
Karma
was formulated from the perspective of an infinite mind capable of
infinite
correlation.

"After inventing the Law of Karma, God was able to retire."