wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@>
> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, billy jim <emptybill@>
wrote:
> > <snip>
> > >   The Houri-s sound so much better.
> >
> > OK, I can't stand it any longer.
> >
> > With plural nouns, why do you put a hyphen between the
> > word and the "s"?
> >

> I'm not at all sure, but in my understanding he
> does it if he thinks a word is not a genuine
> loan word from another language into English,
> but a word of another language used amongst English
> text.

Aha! I'm sure you're right.

 For instance, if you consider the word
> 'siddhi' a loan word from Sanskrit to English, it's
> OK to write the plural as 'siddhis', but the Sanskrit
> (nominative) plural would actually be the rather awkward
>  'siddhayaH' as in
>
> te samaadhaav upasargaa(,) vyutthaane siddhayaH.
>
> But if you don't think it's a loan word (yet),
> it seems to me quite cool to write the plural
> like 'siddhi-s'. That's probably not a convention
> accepted by native English grammarians, though.

In typeset material, such a word would be set in
italics, but the "s" would be set in roman. If all
you've got is roman characters, though, I suppose
the hyphen is a reasonable way to indicate the "s"
isn't the foreign plural form.

However, in an informal context such as this, I'm
not sure it's really justified; it makes the
material harder to read, and there's no important
purpose served by it.