biosoundbill wrote:
> I'm no longer involved with the TM movement, but I still have lots
> of friends that are still in it. I was at a TM party recently, and
> clearly felt that most of them can't think for themselves, and are
> very ungrounded!
>
> I often wonder if this is because of all those years of meditating
> on a pure bija mantra!
>
> Check this link -   http://books.google.com/books?id=78HRnC_-
> 1SIC&pg=PA96&lpg=PA96&dq=bija+mantra+are+pure+energy&source=web&ots=g
> rTOmWNq7Y&sig=PnbUYgD2KbWyQym5VkYd9ankmCo#PPA97,M1
>
> In Chopra's technique each mantra has `Om' at the beginning
> and `Namah' at the end, with your personal syllable in the middle.
>
> Namaste,
>
> Billy

What book is it?  Your link won't work and using your search terms I get
two pages of books but none with that ID.

If mantras aren't balanced then indeed people can become ungrounded
though the original 20 minutes twice a day being a light practice might
not cause that at least for about 80% of practitioners.  Agni mantras
usually aren't used for the public but Shiva and Shanti mantras are
okay.  Every mantra has a certain resonance and will cause the mind and
body to respond in a certain way.  A good guru makes sure that the
mantra (and additional mantras) are right for the aspirant.