Thanks Bhairitu,

I guess at the end of the day learning TM is a very good way of
learning to meditate effortlessly. It has certainly become a big
business, and one is never quite sure as to whether MMY's motives
are noble or otherwise!
Once one has the technique, it makes sense to me that one should be
working with energy that's missing in their lives, rather than
meditating with just that one bija for the rest of one's life,
despite the claims from some Gurus that one stay with one mantra
only!

Namaste,

Billy

> biosoundbill wrote:
> > Hi Bhairitu,
> >
> > As far As the `M' and `NG' endings go, I don't really know which
> > ones are the most powerful.
> > My TM mantra ends in `NG,' but I know lots of people who were
> > given `M' ending mantras. I often feel that MMY used both just
> > make up a bigger pool of mantras. eg:- there are so many
versions of
> > Sarasvati's bija!
> > I never got an advanced technique, and often wonder how anyone
could
> > meditate effortlessly on a longer mantra?
> > Do you for example meditate effortlessly on Om ing kling
> > brihaspataye namah, or is this effortless way of meditating
unique
> > to TM?
> > According to Guru Dev no householder should meditate on `OM'
alone,
> > but men can meditate on `Om' as part of a longer mantra, where
as
> > Ladies should replace the `Om' with `Shree'
> >
> > Namaste,
> >
> > Billy
> >
> As far as endings go I don't think MMY made up anything.  He was
> following some obscure tradition.  There are some traditions that
> utilize both endings.
>
> Yes there are many mantras for each deity.  That's why you have
those
> 1000 names of Visnu, 1000 names of Kali, etc sutras.  :)
>
> Once you learn a long mantra it comes just as easily as a short
one.
> One can even meditate effortlessly on Gayatri once learned.  But
on long
> mantras some teachers in this day in age since we have the
technology
> have people listening to them on cassette or even MP3 players. :)
>
> Most Indians will tell you that it is not good to meditate on Om
alone
> though you can use it temporarily to calm vata but extended use
may
> actually make vata worse.   "Ram" may be better for vata
imbalances.