--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Angela Mailander
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My profession has been literary criticism.  It is ignorant, for
example, to separate Blake's art from his poetry, but it is not
profoundly ignorant.  Each must be able to stand on its own---and it
does.  It is better if you see it as a unified whole, and, I'm sure
that's true of Wagner.  However, in my opinion, Wagner's librettos
don't stand on their own.  I am not alone in that opinion, and,
moreover, I see no reason to continue to argue about it.  I have no
wish to convince you of this.

Angela. I've said in two posts now, including the
post you're responding to, that Wagner's librettos
don't stand on their own (in the other post I used
those *precise words*--and I know you read that post
too, because you responded to it).

In the post you're responding to now, I said:

"Nobody 'likes Wagner's librettos.' To single them
out for critical evaluation in isolation from
the music is itself a sign of profound ignorance."

Now you're saying that's what *you* think, but you
see no reason to argue with me about it and have no
desire to convince me of it, when *I said it before
you did*, TWICE??

> I also don't care whether you ever see any similarities between
German fascism and the TMO.

And on this point, I said:

"What seems difficult for you to see is that the
similarities, such as they may be, are *irrelevant*."

The similarities aren't hard to see. It's their
relevance that's at issue.