For me, the music does not improve the librettos.  I said, "Each must stand on
its own.  Wagner's librettos don't.  This is personal preference, not
ignorance.  End of story.

authfriend <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:                               --- In
FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Angela Mailander
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 > My profession has been literary criticism.  It is ignorant, for
 example, to separate Blake's art from his poetry, but it is not
 profoundly ignorant.  Each must be able to stand on its own---and it
 does.  It is better if you see it as a unified whole, and, I'm sure
 that's true of Wagner.  However, in my opinion, Wagner's librettos
 don't stand on their own.  I am not alone in that opinion, and,
 moreover, I see no reason to continue to argue about it.  I have no
 wish to convince you of this.

 Angela. I've said in two posts now, including the
 post you're responding to, that Wagner's librettos
 don't stand on their own (in the other post I used
 those *precise words*--and I know you read that post
 too, because you responded to it).

 In the post you're responding to now, I said:

 "Nobody 'likes Wagner's librettos.' To single them
 out for critical evaluation in isolation from
 the music is itself a sign of profound ignorance."

 Now you're saying that's what *you* think, but you
 see no reason to argue with me about it and have no
 desire to convince me of it, when *I said it before
 you did*, TWICE??

 > I also don't care whether you ever see any similarities between
 German fascism and the TMO.

 And on this point, I said:

 "What seems difficult for you to see is that the
 similarities, such as they may be, are *irrelevant*."

 The similarities aren't hard to see. It's their
 relevance that's at issue.