--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new.morning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> For film and eposodic TV buffs,
>
> There is  a list of top 250 films, with Godfather top ranked at 9.1 /
> 10. But there is  apparently no "list top" for eposodic TV / cable
> shows. But Sopranos is the highest ranked that I can find, at 9.5.
> Deadwood 9.3. Rome and Entourage 9.2 (which is an interesting show).
>
> Does anyone know a way to list all top eposodic TV? (there is a tv-
> mini-series one, but they do not include cable eposodic, like
> Sopranos).

TV.com has user-generated ratings, both overall
and for specific genres like SciFi.

> And should great eposodic be higher rated than great films?
> Opinions.

I'll offer one, as a lifetime film fan with a huge
body of films I've seen under my belt, and lately
a growing appreciation of good episodic TV, and also
as a writer.

A film is usually around two hours long. That's the
length of time you have to develop characters and
plot. A TV series has 12 hours or 24 hours in which
to do the same thing. Episodic TV has a more
leisurely pace, and can TAKE ITS TIME with
such things.

In the hands of a hack, you get hack TV. But in the
hands of a master, you get mastery.

It's the difference between a short story or a
novella and a novel. Same thing as above. With a
hack writer, any of the three will be terrible.
But in the hands of a master, a novel offers more
flexibility and creative possibilities than a
short story or a novella does.

Just my opinion.

> For eposidic fans, how would you rank the series you have watch /
> are watching? And why.

I would rank a few of them (Firefly, Deadwood, John
>From Cincinnati, Dexter) very highly indeed. On a
lesser level I like House, Battlestar Galactica
(the new one, of course), and occasional others.

> btw, HBO, and some Showtime series, pear season (typically 6-discs)
> have had 50% price cuts at BestBuy and on Amazon. Rome, Deadwood
> etc, each year, selling at around $40 down from $85 --  recent
> regular price at both outlets.

Ebay is a good source for these, at greatly reduced
prices. People watch them, realize they'll never
watch them again, and sell them off cheap.