--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Angela Mailander
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 The appropriate point of this work was that the artist does not care
whether he is portraying beautiful life or ugly life.  It is all
worthy of his attention, his talent, and his inspiration.

> No art critic would call a work of art "crap" just because the
subject matter is something a psychologist would only visit with his
most disturbed clients. Whether or not it is crap does not depend on
the subject matter, but on the way he portrays it.

Great points Angela. I must out myself that I saw Mulholland Drive 2
or 3 times and really liked it. I liked it because its mysterious not
just a sraight forward story, most of which you can calculate
yourself, and I liked it for the imagery. For example, right after the
lesbian scene, when they go to the magic theater, the whole thing is
full of spiritual meaning. The artists perform obviously singing, but
as one singer faints, you see that the voice is coming from a tape. So
everything is just an illusion, a theater play, the artists seemingly
playing are just lip-synchronising to a recording. I think this is a
very adapt spiritual analogy. The club is called 'silencio' and
silence is a key-phrase in that scene. the whole performance is in
silence, the music coming from a tape. During that scene the whole
story skips, the two girls go through a magic cube into a different
space, this being the past or simply an alternate reading of reality,
or the actual reality, while the beginning was simply a dream. There
are many subplots, many symbolic hints. For example there is a bum in
the film, who secretly holds all the strings, the persons in power
obviously just being puppets in the hands of a strange being,
obviously powerless in the ordinary sense. I got reminded of the
Avadhuts, who live on streets, careless about their outer appearance
but thoroughly enlightened. In this film things are not as they seem
to be, there are layers of reality, one persons dream is another
persons reality and vice versa.
In the second half of the film, the two girls, Betty and Rita
basically swap roles. Betty being the succesfull and Rita the shy one
in the first half, in the second half Rita has the success and Betty
is depressed. The whole film can also be seen as commenting on the
illussiory glamour and the shallowness of Hollywood.
So, yes, I liked this grap, and I am aware that I'm one of the few
ones, in my immediate surrounding and obviously here. But I don't
care, I see deep meaning in it, and its just not this predictable
story you usually get. I think he David Lynch is a genius, and I liked
the way he dealt with this situation in Berlin, which was truely
horrible, with this ego-maniac Schiffgens. That he is in a leading
position in the movement gives me hope.