Good post.
But it should go without saying that the minute a culture makes a term taboo,
an intelligent person takes a closer look.  When Bush said in a speech, "We
must never tolerate outrageous conspiracy theories," I immediately ask myself,
"Why not? Don't we have free speech? And as long as they are theories, whom do
they hurt? Any scientific truth starts with a theory.  But it doesn't end
there.  We look for evidence.  Making a term like "conspiracy theory" taboo
tends to stop people from looking for the evidence that would move the thing
under investigation from a theory to a fact.

"new.morning" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Conspiracy" has such broad implications and connotations.

 Kids can conspire to get their parents to go to a movie. Or titans can
 (allegedly) to "conspire" to create world wars, kill presidents, and
 create disasters.

 It may help for a further, better definition of ones terms when
 suggesting a conspiracy.

 "Conspiracy may refer to

 * An act of two or more parties working together to combine in
 such a way as to achieve a particular result often one of harm or
 inconvenience to a third party. Secrecy is not necessary for there to
 be a conspiracy. However, some 'unknown' may be involved.[1]

 * A group of people who make an agreement to form a partnership in
 which each member becomes the agent or partner of every other member
 and engage in planning or agreeing to commit some act.[2]

 * An act of working in secret to obtain some goal, usually
 understood with negative connotations."

 The Democrats are conspiring to elect Hillary. Whew. Call the  press!

 A company conspires to  get people to buy its product.

 Schools conspire to teach kids.

 Businesses develop elaborate strategies, in secret, to accomplish
 things. Most quite legal, if not innocuous.

 While these don't necessarily have negative intents, they are often
 plans, in "secret" -- that is not well known to others, in which
 several or even many are involved, to accomplish something. Are they
 conspiracies. or how nefarious does a secret strategy need to be to
 become a conspiracy. Freemasons strategize in secret.  Is what they
 write about conspiracies itself a conspiracy? or a public service?

 Another issue with "conspiracy" is the degree of credibility. Some
 "conspiracies" -- not the best word to use IMO -- but that fit the
 above defs, can have high credibility. Or it can have zilch. Mobsters
 commit conspiracy in crime. RICO and all. Political parties do some
 dirty "conspiracy" shit in their horse-trading and strategies.  Its
 done behind closed doors. Some nefarious as hell. Some simply a plan
 to accomplish strategy.

 An take corporate strategy. Often secret. Often not nefarious. Unless
 one is so out of it they see any earning of profits as nefarious.

 Growing up with the JFK, UFO, "conspiracies", makes me a bit jaded to
 talk of "no plane hit the pentagon" conspiracies. Yet the US entry
 into Iraq was a "conspiracy" of the highest and quite credible and
 established order. Because one "conspiracy" is true, does not in any
 way imply that others are. As some some imply. There seems to be a
 lack of credibility ranking. I give Roswell some probability of being
 true. And I give the "conspiracy" of tobacco firms to dupe smokers,
 teens and the government, about 100,000,000 greater probability of
 being true.

 How nefarious? How credible? These are good questions to ask and
 answer when using loaded terms like "conspiracy". IMO.

 --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Angela Mailander
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 > Yes, she probably would have dismissed him out of hand just because
 he was a Freemason, which is one reason I didn't bring him up.  But
 the thing about Pike is that not only did he predict WWIII, he also
 predicted WWI and WWII accurately long before they happened. Would
 that carry any weight with her?  Moreover, he studied at Harvard.

 > Bhairitu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:                               The
 first reference I can think of regarding world wars being planned
 >  all along would have been Albert Pike, the Freemason, who wrote of it
 >  back in the 1800's.  But Judy would have dismissed that one out of
 hand
 >  as being "wacko conspiracy stuff" even if wealthy Europeans valued his
 >  advice.
 >
 >  Angela Mailander wrote:
 >  > Why would I smell a fish in your request for sources?  Two
 reasons.  Maybe because you called me a Nazi?  There is some past
 history in which you have behaved very badly with me in my estimation,
 and I was told by others that it isn't personal, that this is just
 your style of interacting with people.  Indeed, I've seen you do it
 with others, and I don't like it any better when it is directed at
 them than when it is directed at me.  It is simply uncultured behavior
 and I have no wish to contribute to it in any way.
 >  >
 >  > The second reason I hesitated to give you a few names (you asked
 for historians, not their work) is just because I am a scholar.
 Giving you a few sources is an utterly inadequate  substitute for ten
 years' worth of  scholarly research, and only someone who is not a
 scholar would even ask such a thing.  Giving you just a few names (or
 sources) leaves me completely open to adverse criticism.
 >  >
 >  > If I thought you would actually read some books, then that would
 be different; I could recommend where you might begin and how you
 might avoid some of the dead ends I had to explore to get where I am.
  But I do not get the sense that you wish to engage in any activity
 that would a) tend to vindicate me, and b) educate yourself.
 >  >
 >  > The history of Nazi Germany has been suppressed by American
 academic historians. There have been a few courageous souls who have
 published their work anyway, risking their careers and livelihoods.
 If you really were seriously interested in this question, rather than
 wanting to dismiss the possibility of conspiracy out of hand without
 any serious investigation, then I would begin with Gary Allen's "The
 Rockefeller Papers" and with Anthony Sutton's "Wallstreet and the Rise
 of Hitler."  His "Wallstreet and the Bolshevik Revolution" would be
 another good choice.   But again, these two men would be a bare bones
 beginning.  You could not draw any hard conclusions based on their
 work alone.  At a minimum, you would not only have to read their
 books, you'd also have to follow up on all their sources, as I have
 done.  This would be a full-time assignment for a good semester's
 work.  Obviously, I am not under the illusion that you would do this
 kind of work in order to learn that
 >  >  am not just talking through my hat.  Yet, there is no other way
 to determine whether or not I am.
 >  >
 >  > A conversation in a forum such as this is not a scholarly venue.
 I can present my conclusions, but not the ten year process (which
 actually also includes a life time of experience as someone born in
 Nazi Germany) that got me where I am.  So why talk about it at all?
 Because we are in danger as I write of going down that road again. It
 may, in fact, be too late.  But still there is hope that, somehow, the
 American people won't walk into a fascist regime as blindly as did the
 German people. The ten steps that Naomi Wolf details are crude.  By
 the time such things happen, it is almost too late.  What about the
 brain washing that passes for education and that leads up to it being
 possible to fool a whole people into ignoring what is plain to see
 right in front of their eyes?
 >  >

 >  Send instant messages to your online friends
 http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

  • ... Vaj
  • ... Angela Mailander
  • ... Bhairitu
  • ... aztjbailey
  • ... Angela Mailander
  • ... Bhairitu
  • ... Samadhi Is Much Closer Than You Think -- Really! -- It's A No-Brainer. Who'd've Thunk It?
  • ... Vaj
  • ... Vaj
  • ... new . morning
  • ... Angela Mailander