"There are several of us trying to put the crazies back in the box."

~~  Admiral William Fallon, head of Centcom on effort to stop the
BushCo warmongers attacking Iran
http://www.ipsnews.net/print.asp?idnews=37738

-CIA analysts willing to 'go to jail' to ensure NIE's release-

Retired Col. W. Patrick Lang, a former official in the Defense
Intelligence Agency, reveals that senior CIA analysts pushed for the
NIE's key judgments on Iran to be released, threatening to speak to
the media if they weren't:

    The "jungle telegraph" in Washington is booming with news of the
Iran NIE. I am told that the reason the conclusions of the NIE were
released is that it was communicated to the White House that
"intelligence career seniors were lined up to go to jail if necessary"
if the document's gist were not given to the public. Translation?
Someone in that group would have gone to the media "on the record" to
disclose its contents.

http://turcopolier.typepad.com/sic_semper_tyrannis/2007/12/the-senate-and.html

-A NUMBER of political observers have taken note of a momentous event
in the U.S. government – a counter-coup that overthrew the Dick
Cheney/neocon cabal that has been running U.S. foreign policy (if not
the entire U.S. government).

Juan Cole has cited Admiral William Fallon, head of Centcom, and
Admiral Michael Mullen, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, as two
key players who stymied efforts earlier this year by Dick Cheney to
accelerate the military build-up off the coast of Iran.

Andrew Sullivan in a blog entry called The System is Working credits
Secretary of Defense Robert Gates for restoring some sanity to the
Defense Department, though he also notes that without the Democratic
victory in the 2006 elections Bush would never have been forced to
jettison Rumsfeld.
-

A source who met privately with Admiral William Fallon, head of
Centcom, around the time of his confirmation hearing and who insists
on anonymity quoted Fallon as saying that an attack on Iran "will not
happen on my watch". Asked how he could be sure, the source says,
Fallon replied, "You know what choices I have. I'm a professional."
Fallon said that he was not alone, according to the source, adding,
"There are several of us trying to put the crazies back in the box."

Links here:
http://agonist.org/numerian/20071205/americas_quiet_counter_coup