--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Luise" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Joe Biden ** Integrity, Wisdom, Intelligence

I like Biden and wish he had run last time -- but he opted out.

But his sponsorship and active promotion of the Rave Act has always
concerned me, made me think twice about him. It appears to me that
this bill is a gross violation of civil liberties. One can be arrested
for even being proximate to someone using drugs. Club owners can be
charged if anyone in the club is found with drugs

"The RAVE Act which threatens to squash live music and free speech was
passed in 2003 when it was tacked onto an unrelated child protection
bill. In 2004 there were two additional pieces of legislation
considered - the CLEAN-UP Act and the Ecstasy Awareness Act - that
threatened to widen the laws to prosecute anyone who holds an event
and fails to prevent illicit drug use.

Senator Joe Biden (D-DE) forced the controversial legislation commonly
known as the "RAVE" Act through both houses of Congress as an
attachment to an unrelated child abduction bill. The "RAVE" Act, also
referred to as the Illicit Drug Anti-Proliferation Act of 2003, was
introduced as an addition to the Child Abduction Protect Act of 2003,
widely recognized as the AMBER Alert bill (S151). The "RAVE" Act had
not passed a single committee before being attached to the AMBER Alert
bill. In addition, it was so controversial when it was introduced
during the 107th Congress that two Senators withdrew their sponsorship.

The "RAVE" Act makes it easier for the federal government to prosecute
innocent business owners for the drug offenses of their customers -
even if they take steps to stop such activity. This is a threat to
free speech and musical expression while placing at risk any
hotel/motel owner, concert promoter, event organizer, nightclub owner
or arena/stadium owner for the drug violations of third parties - real
or alleged - regardless of whether or not the promoter and/or property
owner made a good-faith effort to keep their event drug-free. It
applies not only to electronic music parties, but any type of public
gathering: theatrical productions, rock concerts, DJ nights at your
local club or tavern, and political rallies. Moreover, it gives
heightened powers and discretion to prosecutors who may use it to
target events they personally don't like, such as Hip-Hop events and
gay and lesbian fundraisers.
 The Drug Enforcement Administration is prosecuting nightclub owners
and promoters that organize electronic dance music events and the
military is using drugs as a pretext to close down gay nightclubs. In
Michigan in March 2005, a nightclub was raided with some attendees
reportedly being strip-searched and over 100 people being ticketed and
slapped with a misdemeanor charge, just for being in proximity to
people using drugs. A similar incident happened in 2002 in Wisconsin.
In addition, drug laws are often enforced unevenly against African
Americans and Latinos. Hip-Hop could easily become a target.
...."

And what about those Blues clubs??!!