Richard J. Williams

Zoran Krneta wrote:
> The point which I wanted to bring up was emphasis
> on the devotional aspect of spiritual practice in
> India in comparison with TM where devotional aspect
> is excluded.

The devotional traditions of India are almost universally
based on the idea of concentration. Here are two examples:
for two years I lived in Venice Beach, Ca. and almost every
day I would visit the world headquarters of ISKCON on
Watseka Blvd. Several times I got to ask a question of
Swami Bhaktivedanta Saraswati when he was visiting. I talked
to numerous devotees and brahmacharayas over the course
of two years. They all described meditation as concentration
on the mahamantra. According to the Swami you should
concentrate on the mantra and repeat it over and over again,
to the exclusion of everything else; you should bear down.

For the past ten years I've been living next door to one
of the largest Hindu temples outside India, at Barsana Dham,
near Austin, Tx. The Swami there, a direct desciple of
Swami Brhamanand Saraswati, describes meditation as the
concentration on the devine form of Srimati Radharani, Lord
Krishna's consort. Swami Prakashand Saraswati says that
concentration on Radha's devine form is meditation. He
further teaches that concentration is the most effective
technique for attaining devotional ecstasy. He too teaches
that student should bear down, concentrate.

Both of these examples are from Upanishadic teachers and
both of them teach transcendentalism and yoga. However,
they do not emphasize the effortless nature of the
transcending. According to Swami Brahmanand Saraswati,
who taught effortless mantra meditation " Brahman is the
Light; it needs no other light to illuminate it." There
is no need for concentration - enlightenment just comes
of itself.

According to Marshy, it is NOT the technique of TM that
brings enlightment - enlightenment is a an already
established condition. All you have to do is *isolate*
the Purusha; then the Self shines all by itself. In TM
you should experience the mantra just like any other
thought. Effort or bearing down is contra-indicated; a
hindrance to the transcending.