--
On Jarvis.  1. Shallow - yes in the sense of allowing himself to be
duped by TMO propaganda; but as everybody knows, he later became
divorced from the official TMO people.  He now regards Bevan and
Hagelin as types of fellow TM promoting comrades; but I'm making
progress in convincing him those people are not his real friends.  I
am.
2. opportunistic. Everybody is opportunistic - it's a characteristic
built into genes, from termites to humans and Archangels.  Can't
fault him for that.
The real question is one of honesty.  Are people (given being
opportunistic) honest, or dishonest?

- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "do.rflex" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Dick Mays <dickmays@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Links to additional chapters at the end!
> > >

> > > From The Himalayas to Hollywood
> > > A Personal Account of Maharishi's Early Days
> > >
> > > By Charles F. Lutes
> > > As Told to Martin Zucker
> > > © 2006 Martin Zucker
> > >
> > > In 1954 I became suddenly ill. I was having lunch
> > > with a business associate in Farmer's Market. The
> > > waitress was bringing a slice of pecan pie I had
> > > just ordered. All at once, the restaurant turned
> > > upside down and my heart started thumping like a
> > > tom-tom. I grabbed onto the table and held on for
> > > dear life. I thought I was having a heart attack.
> > > Pretty soon the room turned right side up again
> > > but I felt terrible.
> > >
> > > My friend drove me right over to my doctor's
> > > office. The doctor examined me. It wasn't a heart
> > > attack, he said afterward, but something was
> > > definitely wrong.
> > >
> > > That's how it began. I was totally healthy one
> > > minute and in bad shape the next. It was an
> > > illness the doctors were never able to explain.
> > > In a short period of time, I lost 65 pounds. From
> > > a robust 200-pound six-footer, I shrank down to
> > > skin and bones. I experienced blackouts with such
> > > frequency that my company assigned a driver to
> > > me. At one time or another, practically every
> > > gland and organ in my body stopped working.
> > >
> > > This ordeal had been going on for several months
> > > when one afternoon I began to feel the usual
> > > symptoms that preceded a blackout: palpitations,
> > > a cold and clammy feeling, and a dry throat.
> > >
> > > I headed for the doctor as fast as I could. When
> > > I arrived, I was pretty groggy. The doctor took
> > > one look at me and cleared a treatment room. I
> > > remember him pulling off my coat and shirt and
> > > going over me with his stethoscope.
> > >
> > > "Charlie, it looks real bad this time," he said. "I'm afraid
you
> > are dying."
> > >

> > *************
> >
> > Charlie had extremely bad karma, which is certainly clearly
expressed
> > here in the bad health he experienced. I heard Charlie tell this
> > story many times: MMY had given a lecture in which he said that
some
> > people have a mountain of (bad) karma. After the lecture, Charlie
> > asked MMY if Charlie had such a mountain, to which Maharishi
> > said, "You have a mountain range of karma."
> >
> > I believe that Nature gave Charlie a chance to work off some of
that
> > horrible karma by telling others about TM. Charlie, like nearly
every
> > TM bureaucrat, was a fool because of the warping effect that his
> > karmic burden produced on his mind, but he nevertheless did a lot
of
> > good by helping to spread TM. I certainly salute him, as I
learned at
> > his WLA SRM center (his wife gave me my first checking session)
back
> > in 68. Once I realized how full of crap he was (bees are from
Venus,
> > etc), I still attended his lectures and residence courses for the
MMY
> > tapes and group/extended meditations, but for years I got up and
left
> > when he started to talk.
>

> A lot of people like you had an aversion for Charlie. I felt the
same
> way about Jarvis whom I considered a shallow, phony and
opportunistic