--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "BillyG." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new.morning <no_reply@>
> > wrote:

> > > You know this to be absolutely true?
> >
> > FWIW, the story of the woman taken in adultery
> > (from which the quote is taken) is widely considered
> > to be a 4th century interpolation, not part of the
> > original Gospel of John (which, in any case, wasn't
> > set down until almost a century after Jesus's death).
> >
> > My favorite part of the story is when Jesus tells the
> > men who were about to stone the woman to death, "He
> > that is without sin among you, let him first cast
> > a stone at her."
> >
> > And one by one, they all put down the stones they're
> > holding and walk away--the oldest first.
>
> She compromised the natural moral integrity of her soul and
> had sex outside of the context of natural law

Well, she had sex outside the context of her commitment
to her husband. IOW, she broke a promise.

Let's remember that at the time, the law sanctioned
punishment only for women who committed adultery.

That's the sting in Jesus's remark about casting the
first stone: adulterous husbands have broken their
promise to their wives in exactly the same way the
woman broke hers to her husband, so who are they to
chastise her (let alone stone her to death)?