--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Angela Mailander
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Let me ask you again, is it possible that these animal reincarnations
are intended to be symbolic?  They plainly are in the Tibetan Book of
the Dead.  Why would they be literal in the Gita?

IMO, othodox Hindus believe the animal reincarnations to be literal.
However, MMY appears to allow a symbolic interpretation of the process
of reincarnation.  For example, he states that we are reborn on a daily
basis to give us an opportunity to learn and involve into higher levels
of consciousness.  Given this interpretation, we can deduce that the
animal reincarnations can mean the habitual attachments to the material
world that people can have when they indulge in the senses.

In spite of this liberal interpretation, I don't think MMY ruled out
the literal interpretation of the word.  For instance, someone asked
him if he would reincarnate back to earth again after he dies.  MMY
said he does not expect to do so.