<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've been doing some meditation lately.  I am experimenting with not
> using the mantra.  In past discussions you thought that perhaps it was
> going on unconsciously, and I really have no answer for that.  It
> could be.  But specifically I've just been sitting, noticing my breath
> and when my mind goes off in a thought,and I remember, I come back to
> noticing my breath.  So sitting easily is key.  When I use a mantra
> that seems similar, although after 18 years my old advanced long ass
> mantras seem like overkill, so I tend to end up with a shorter
version.

There are a couple great meditation teachers who promote
experimentation.  You may find helpful.

Swami Durgananda - Sally Kempton has a book called "The Heart of
Meditation".  It suggests different techniques to try.  She travels
around a lot, I really liked going to one of her meditation workshops.
Her teacher Muktananda (sp) knew MMY.  He promoted experimentation as
well.  His autobiography is called "Play of Consciousness" and he
emphasizes the "play" part.

Adyashanti has some CDs out that can be found used cheap.  He has some
guided meditations.  His whole thing is about loosing the mantra or the
breath altogether.   For him its all about centering attention.  It is
even more effortless than TM.  I always enjoy coming back to his guided
meditations.

>From what I can gather TM is one size fits all.  After a while it
doesn't hurt to come to the practice with a bit of discernment and see
whats at work there.  I know that my asana practice done in tandem with
TM has made a huge difference to how attentive I am during TM.  Its all
about setting up clear, energetic foundation before sitting down to
practice.

s.