I love it when a PR effort reaches astronomical proportions. ;-)

Satya

http://PanachePR.does.it/ <http://panachepr.shows.it/>

On 2/1/08, Rick Archer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>     NASA launching Beatles tune into space
>
> Fri Feb 1, 11:07 AM ET
>
> WASHINGTON - The Beatles are about to become radio stars in a whole new
> way. NASA on Monday will broadcast the Beatles' song "Across the Universe"
> across the galaxy to Polaris, the North Star.
>
> This first-ever beaming of a radio song by the space agency directly into
> deep space is nostalgia-driven. It celebrates the 40th anniversary of the
> song, the 45th anniversary of NASA's Deep Space Network, which communicates
> with its distant probes, and the 50th anniversary of NASA.
>
> "Send my love to the aliens," Paul McCartney told NASA through a Beatles
> historian. "All the best, Paul."
>
> The song, written by McCartney and John Lennon, may have a ticket to ride
> and will be flying at the speed of light. But it will take 431 years along
> a long and winding road to reach its final destination. That's because
> Polaris is 2.5 quadrillion miles away.
>
> NASA loaded an MP3 of the song, just under four minutes in its original
> version, and will transmit it digitally at 7 p.m. EST Monday from its
> giant antenna in Madrid, Spain. But if you wanted to hear it on Polaris,
> you would need an antenna and a receiver to convert it back to music, the
> same way people receive satellite television.
>
> The idea came from Martin Lewis, a Los Angeles-based Beatles historian,
> who then got permission from McCartney, Yoko Ono and the two companies that
> own the rights to Beatles' music. One of those companies, Apple, was happy
> to approve the idea because is "always looking for new markets," Lewis said.
>
> Perhaps coincidentally, the song's launching comes a day before the
> release of the DVD of the Julie Taymor movie named after the Beatles hit.

            • ... off_world_beings
              • ... curtisdeltablues
              • ... Vaj
              • ... TurquoiseB
              • ... curtisdeltablues
              • ... Vaj
              • ... off_world_beings
              • ... curtisdeltablues
              • ... nablusoss1008
              • ... Richard J. Williams
  • ... Samadhi Is Much Closer Than You Think -- Really! -- It's A No-Brainer. Who'd've Thunk It?