> On Feb 7, 2008, at 6:18 AM, srijim1 wrote:
>
> > I bet old "Deep-Pockets" Chopra is probably kicking himself now... it
> > could have been all his. Ha! Tough luck Deepak, you had your chance.
>

> Actually Chopra's an interesting case and point. He has his own Neo-
> Vedic Science mega-church now--but needs to kiss up since his song
> and dance is derived from his ex-teacher's. So he's been making up
> new stories to secure that cash, uh, I meant lineage. :-)
>
> If he doesn't try to make his teacher look legit, it makes him look
> illegitimate. So the stories flow.
>
> Have you seen the 6-year old "Mahasamadhi" picture? Very clever!

Vaj, I'm delighted to see there is someone else on this forum who has an
irreverent sense
of humor. As you've noticed, I don't have much respect for these
self-proclaimed holy
men from India. After The Beatles made Mr. Varma the first guru superstar, the
US was
literally flooded with these characters. Why?.... because that's where the big
money was.
It's as simple as that. The guru con is one of the oldest cons in India, right
up there with
the begging cartels. The USA was the mother-lode of spiritual suckers then and
it still is. I
guess what I find so offensive about the self-proclaimed Maharishi is that he
didn't even
try to disguise his con... he started out almost immediately trying to turn a
profit. First, he
side-stepped the "have-nots" and charged $35 to the "haves". And when he didn't
think
the "Haves" were lucrative enough, he marketed spirituality exclusively to the
"Have-
Mores." The guy was completely shameless in his greed and ruined the lives a
lot of
sincere good people with all his vedic smoke & mirrors. Flying technique?...
give me a
break. The Shankara lineage in India was absolutely appalled by the man. And,
the TM
Movement has evolved into nothing less than a fascist spiritual tyranny run by
a group of
self-serving megalomaniacs. Chopra & Pundit Ravi Shankar are cut from the same
cloth.
They didn't feel they were getting their share of the Maharishi pie and saw
their chance to
set up their own little spiritual money machines. The transparency is
laughable. And yet,
sincere people are continually taken in by this obvious con. It's truly tragic.
But, what can
you do? People believe what they want to believe no matter how ridiculous.
There is no
waking these zombies out of their spiritual fog with reason, so maybe a little
humor will
help laugh them out of it. We're all victims of our own folly to an extent.
There is no shame
in seeing that. Selling/buying enlightenment for a million dollars is funny.
Even his royal
highness, Nader Rum-Dum can't disguise the absurdity of that. Hopefully not,
anyway.
What I wonder, is that now Mr. Varma is dead... are the rank & file going to
keep putting
up with this TM Monarchy nonsense? Only time will tell and I truly wish them
the best.