--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "claudiouk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Towards the end MMY was clearly irritated by Chopra - I remember
> seeing a video where Chopra was speaking to the camera and MMY was in
> the background and clearly noticeable were subtle side to side
> movements of his jaw or face. Basically unlike Hagelin who talks
> about Physics in a way MMY couldn't but always deferred to MMY when
> it came to any pronouncement that related to Vedic/Hindu scriptures,
> Chopra was a better public speaker than MMY and HE ALSO talked with
> relative "authority" about Hindu cuilture (as far as Westerners were
> concerned). To cap it all not only was he a medical doctor trained in
> the West but now seemed to take on the mantle of Ayurvedic expert. So
> MMY was definitely getting resentful about that.
>
> However I remember before the rift an Initiator predicting it simply
> because his latter books and tapes amounted to a "Chopra" version of
> Ayurveda, health, spirituality - that he was also introducing more
> superficial thinking/feeling practices - mood making - and that was
> bound to cause a rift. I was surprised to hear these views as at the
> time Chopra was by far the most impressive exponenet of TM & MMY's
> philosophy. But then it happened about 6 months later.. And I was
> told that MMY said to Chopra much the same thing he'd said to Ravi
> Shankar - if you need to teach go ahead but we must go our separate
> ways.. Interesting that both Chopra & Ravi Shankar featured in
> commentaries about MMY after his death.

I find it all fascinating because neither Chopra
nor Shankar were ever around during the time I was.
They were visible to and important to a whole new
generation of TMers, and I know nothing about either
one of them. Therefore it is curious to see the
anger and demonization aimed at both of them by
TMers. And NOW, after they've said something gracious
about Maharishi after his death, the fawning over them
being displayed by some of the *same* people (like Nabby)
who previously couldn't say enough bad things about them.

In trying to figure it out, I'm coming more and more
to believe that the anger and the demonizations had
their root in a model held up by Maharishi as the
"ideal" of how one should deal with him and regard
him -- Trotaka.

It was one of his favorite stories to tell -- the
not-too-bright devotee whose greatest accomplishment
was *being* a total devotee. Trotaka (and by extension
the "ideal" student") had no life of his own. He made
no decisions on his own. He just did everything he
was told, instantly, as if the orders had come from
God himself.

In this model, the "ideal disciple" never takes any
credit for any of his own accomplishments or ideas.
They are always "turned over" to the master. They
were "inspired" by him, or actually "caused" by him
mystically. *Everything* they do is as a result of
the all-powerful, all-important "master."

And, at the end of 50 years, who is left in charge
of the TM movement?

Those who bought into this model the most, that's who.
Bevan Morris -- the ultimate toady, who quite obviously
has no life or thoughts outside of Maharishi. Hagelin,
who threw away a potentially brilliant career and
pretty much all of his credibility to act like the
Trotaka "ideal." King Tony, who refuses now to even
*speak*, possibly for fear of being perceived as
having ideas of his own.

I guess there is nothing wrong with this IF you believe
in the Trotaka model AS the "ideal." Me, I don't. I
think it's a model for a certain *type* of seeker,
the type of person who has so little going for them
personally that they have to identify with someone
else -- their "master" -- in order to even *have*
a personality. That, to me, describes Bevan perfectly.

But it *doesn't*, to me, describe the "perfect disciple."
To me, that would be the person who has his own ideas
and thoughts and is not afraid to express them, espec-
ially if he perceives the "master" as possibly taking
a wrong turn or making a less-than-brilliant decision.
I would have respect for the person who occasionally
*stood up to* Maharishi and suggested that there might
be a better way of doing things than the one he was
making a "pronouncement" about.

Obviously, I would never have risen to prominence in
the TM movement. :-)

I would have been weeded out within a year of the
time I left on my own, because I was seeing the TM
movement take what I considered a "wrong direction,"
one that would bring it to ruin, and I would not have
been able to keep my mouth shut and go along with it.
I would have had to say something. And, as a result,
I would have been toast.

At the end of it all, I wish that more of the students
who rose to the position of "having Maharishi's ear"
had taken advantage of it to give him more real feedback,
instead of being Trotaka-like "Yes Men."

I further wish that Maharishi had had the humility to
be able to accept them AS students while doing that,
and not sent them away in disgrace. And I wish that
he had had the humility to learn from his students,
and not pretend that he was the only person in the
movement with ideas that *could* be learned from.