> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "ruthsimplicity"
> <ruthsimplicity@> wrote:

> > > I know of NO spiritual tradition on
> > > the planet with the exception of Maharishi's TMO
> > > that believes that the indicator of full enlight-
> > > enment is the ability to float (levitate). I know
> > > of many who would, in fact, disagree with this
> > > vehemently.
> > >
> > > Please find me a quote that says otherwise. If
> > > you can't, I suggest that your "impression" came
> > > about because you just accepted what Maharishi
> > > said was the definition of full enlightenment
> > > BECAUSE HE SAID IT, and that you never looked
> > > into any other traditions' definitions of
> > > enlightenment, because you never had to. You
> > > already HAD the definition, and it was true
> > > because Maharishisez.
> >
> > If I may briefly interrupt this discussion, I have a
> > question. Did MMY clearly say that if you could not
> > "float" you were not enlightened? Is there a written
> > source for that?
>
> I don't have a source, Ruth, but it has been
> quoted here often with no refutations from
> the TM faithful. The criterion may have been
> for "full enlightenment," as Lawson has been
> using it. I dunno.
>
> I do know that not only do I not agree with
> it, back in the early days of his teaching,
> *Maharishi* didn't agree with it. At Squaw
> Valley in 1968 he gave several talks in which
> he said emphatically that the siddhis and the
> ability to perform them had nothing whatsoever
> to do with enlightenment. At that time he
> actively pooh-poohed interest in the siddhis.
> It was the original context of his "capture
> the fort" metaphor, as I remember.
>
> Obviously, this former teaching went by the
> wayside when he found a way to sell the siddhis.

i know this is a tragically un-hip perspective around here, but if i
may offer a more charitable explanation for Maharishi bringing out
the siddhis:

i think he recognized that meditators had enough experience by the
time the siddhis were introduced in the late 70's so that meditators
would not get lost in the sometimes flashy experiences, and still
keeping their intention on capturing the fort, could use the siddhis
as a tool to further their ultimate goal. His perspective on the
sidhis never changed afaik.