My point, though, is not a clarion call to follow, or not follow, any
 shastras, sciptures or ethics. My only point is that there is a state
of "sadhu"-- goodness -- a deep zone -- that is far more refined and
liberating than some (partially realized perhaps) mahavakya.

How one cultures that sadhu state -- it may or may not be through
shastra. I have no opinion on that of consequence.