> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <no_reply@> wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "David Fiske" <fiskedavid@>

> > > What I found most fascinating and uplifting about
> > > the talk was that it DIDN'T "tie in" with any
> > > pre-existing framework or philosophy. It really
> > > seemed to me as if Jill approached this situation
> > > *without* having been pre-programmed to have ideas
> > > about Being, samadhi, nirvana, etc. I got the
> > > feeling that she learned of these terms and these
> > > concepts *after* having experienced what she did,
> > > in an attempt to understand them.
> > >
> > > As you suggest, there seems to be some *literal*
> > > overshadowing effect of the left brain that tends
> > > to "hide" the expansive, non-local right brain.
> > > It's like the left brain is a "worrywart," and
> > > nags and talks all the time, while the right brain
> > > is more Rastafarian. "Ja, mon...I hear what you be
> > > sayin', but chill. Don't worry...be happy."
> > >
> > > I think what we need is for the left brain to sit
> > > down with the right brain and share a big spliff
> > > from time to time, so that they can get along
> > > better and coexist more peacefully.  :-)
> >
> > Samadhi, as defined in TM research, comes about when the
> > left and right hemispheres are *in balance* in the frontal
> > lobes. IOW, neither the right nor left hemisphere is dominating.
>
> Lawson, Lawson, Lawson...when are you going to
> understand that samadhi cannot possibly be
> "defined" by research?

It was a poorly worded phrase. Judy's made a stab at clarifying, and I'll
reword:

The TM research on people who report transcendental consciousness finds that
their self-
reports come seconds after the brain returns to a more normal mode of
functioning from
a mode of higher inter-hemispheric EEG coherence in the frontal lobes of the
brain.

IOW, they might press a button to indicate:  "that was TC!" and by the time
they press the
button, their brain is functioning normally, but *just before* they press the
button, their
brain is in a different state and it's a state where the right and left frontal
lobes are more
in-tune with each other.

The frontal lobes, btw, are where science usually "locates" our sense of
identity or "self."

In TMers, IOW, reports of the samadhi state are associated with the hemispheres
of the
brain being in balance. So the suggestion that one part of the brain is
dominating during
samadhi don't hold true for TMers.

HOWEVER, in some Buddhist meditations, there IS an imbalance in the brain
hemispheres
that shows up: the intellectual side dominates.

Lawson