--- Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>snip
>
> Dear Peter,
>
>      You have done such a good job of explaining
> this "I" no "I"
> thing frontwards, backwards, sideways and inside
> out. Even though
> many are not experiencing this state of mind or no
> mind right now, I
> think that with a little quiet contemplation most
> can at least know
> abstractly what it is that you are talking about.
> The problem is
> that the idea of a driver of action is just kind of
> swept under the
> rug of God/Nature/Mystery which says to me that
> although there is a
> real shift of awareness being experienced there is
> some
> understanding that is missing. Until this
> understanding is opened up
> some I don't think that the questions of
> responsibility in action
> by "enlightened" individuals can be resolved to any
> statisfaction.

Agreed

> This idea starts to sound like there is a great and
> powerful Oz
> making all things happen from behind the curtain and
> any attempts to
> understand it are just the mind trying to keep
> itself busy so you
> better just forget it.

I'm not trying to imply that.

> Is it possible that, the experience of there being
> no "I" to intend
> or not to intend is based on the recognition that
> ego as has always
> been identified with as "I" is actually not Self
> therefore "I" do
> not exist. Maybe a more accurate statement would be:
> therefore "I"
> is not the ego.

No. "I" and the ego are one and the same. Rick, let me
ask you a question. Why this powerful protest about
the "I" disappearing? I contend that it is because of
the the "I"/consciousness confound. But why do you
stuggle with it?

> Didn't you say in an earlier post that your teacher
> Ravi Shankar
> (spl?) mentioned something about this experience of
> no "I" being
> something that could occur in the process of growth
> towards
> realization. Did he elaborate on that at all?

No, he did not elaborate. I started thinking about the
ego identifying with everything and therefore having
no separation and did not follow-up with anymore
questions.