On Apr 3, 2008, at 7:03 AM, hugheshugo wrote:

Discovering aliens would make my life, really I'd die a happy man.
But even though it's impossible to know what they will look like all
the available evidence suggests being humanoid is colloquial. I'm
always happy to be proved wrong though, if Mr Spock turns up I'll be
just as thrilled.

Can't remember exactly what I heard on TV a while back, but it brought home to me like nothing had before that there is almost without question no other life in the universe. We Are It, and that's that. Doesn't mean that can't change someday, or that maybe there isn't another universe with some other life out there. But in this one, there isn't. No Klingons, no Andromedans, and Mr Spock isn't going to suddenly appear. In fact, we weren't even supposed to appear, as the universe
in general seems to be kind of a hostile place for almost any kind of
intelligent life (which might explain why we're here).

Sal