> On Apr 3, 2008, at 12:41 PM, hugheshugo wrote:
>
> > I like to be optimistic and think there is millions of planets
with
> > life out there but I wouldn't be surprised if we were the only
> > intelligent creatures, it really is a fluke that we got this
smart.
> > Just think of the string of events that all had to happen to lead
> > us being the only animals in the history of earth with
consciousness,
> > it's got to be billions to one against.
> >
> > But we don't know what we don't know. I really hope the place is
> > teeming with life and we make contact in my lifetime, just a radio
> > signal would do for me, I'd die happy knowing there is someone
else
> > out there. Not because being alone is too painful, but because I'm
> > incurably romantic. Does that sound weird? I can't tell.
>
> Not at all, I'm a romantic too.  But it's just that with some
things,
> sometimes a cigar really is a cigar, and it's nice to be able to
let
> go of what
> seems to be a hopeless hope.  But I can understand not wanting to
as
> well.
>
> Everywhere else is deader than disco.
>
> Great line, BTW--man, that's dead!  (I hate disco.)
>
> Sal

I'm glad you don't think it's weird, I logged on again just to try
and justify it if you did. But I'll expand on it anyway now I'm
here ;-)

There's just something about looking through a telescope at the night
sky that really gets me. Looking at pictures in a book or on the net
just isn't the same as having the actual light thats travelled
billions of miles form an image in your mind. All the planets look
amazing, I know it's my mind adding special effects but it all seems
so serene and stately, always moving but always predictable and was
always there all the time waiting for us to discover it. It's a
gobsmackingly amazing place we live in and nobody knew til Gallileo
thought to look at the sky one night, inagine being the first to see
all that, what  trip he must have had.

My favourite things to look at are galaxies, they're all so far away
that light left them before the human race even existed, and light
travels at 180,000 miles per second! over a year it really covers
some ground. The closest galaxy to us, Andromeda, is 2.9 million
light years away, it's the furthest thing that can be seen with the
naked eye. I like to think of a ray of light leaving there, when
proto-humans were still getting the hang of walking upright,
travelling across the void while we developed language, culture
civilisation and technology, finally flowing down my telescope and
streaming into my eyes, it's a beautiful sight, the combined light of
4000 million stars.

You can see objects so far away that mammals were just a twinkle in
Mother Natures eye when the light you see left them. It blows my
mind.

It's not weird is it? Of course not, it's wondrous.

But Saturday Night Fever is one of my favourite albums. That probably
is weird.