> On Apr 18, 2008, at 8:30 AM, new.morning wrote:
>
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradhatu@> wrote:

> >> Actually, traditionally, it does have a meaning as is witnessed
by
> >> the numerous bija dictionaries which define their meanings in
some
> >> detail.
> >>

> > Which of course every new TM student has sitting around in the
> > backseat of their car so they can get their full money's worth and
> > figure out how to do the the REAL TM by fully understanding their
bija
> > mantra. Right?
>

> Wrong. TM does not require that you know the meaning of your
mantra,
> in fact they want you to believe it's a "meaningless sound".
>
> But it's simply not true.
>
> Why spread lies when we don't have to?

The correct use of the mantra in TM is as a meaningless sound,
whether one is a Hindu or not. If somebody is assigning meaning to
the mantra in meditation (and not innocently returning to the mantra
as meaningless sound), then they are not practicing TM (which relies
on the resonant power of the mantra in a way that is far beyond
meaning, in order to transcend the limiting mind). Outside of the
context of TM, people can assign any meaning they want to any sound,
but this does not make the mantra in TM anything other than a
meaningless sound during TM.