<Snip>

> > But I still don't think of this as misogyny.  It isn't
> > like I'm calling her some cute sweet thing.
>
> Curtis, what would be the equivalent complaint from
> a man about Obama, or McCain?

I think guys are a little more thick skinned about this type of crack
because we tend to lay it on each other even when we like each other.
I understand, however, that this has been a luxury that women
throughout history have not had.  So I am interested in your point
because I get it that I am not going to have an instinct for this.

> > I'm complaining because she is totally intense and she is
> > on my case.
>
> In what way is she "on your case"?

I should have said sounds strident as if she is on my case for
something.  This is both a man woman thing about tone and my
pronounced musician's auditory sensitivity.

> > Is that really sexist?  It seems kinda human.
>
> FWIW, I don't think you're a misogynist. I *do*
> think you occasionally thoughtlessly echo
> misogynistic frames, without recognizing that's
> what they are. This is one of 'em.

Fair enough.

> You're one of the few people around here who
> seems to have an interest in raising your
> consciousness about stuff.

I appreciate that Judy.

 If that applies to
> sexism and misogyny, here's the mother lode
> with regard to Clinton:
>
> http://shakespearessister.blogspot.com/2008/04/hillary-sexism-watch-
> part-eighty-three.html
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5j3lze

Anything to do with Tucker makes my skin crawl.  This is as demeaning
as the media's overemphasis on Howard Dean's shriek.  It is a shitty
guy trick.  I don't dig it either.  Guys also do this in different
forms to each other, but as I said before, for a woman it might have
more loaded value.

But Hillery is playing in what is basically a guy's club so I suspect
she is used to this dickish behavior and I don't suspect it will
change.  It is alpha chimp behavior and certain types of guys are
ruthless with it.

> <snip>
> > Don't you hate everyone who would "run for president?"
> > I'm just not civic minded or mature enough to respect
> > this goal. It just makes them seem like assholes to me.
>
> Entirely aside from the Hillary thing, that's
> got to be the most inane comment I've ever seen
> you make.

That's pretty cool cuz it was kind of a throwaway line for me so I'm
amazed that I've topped myself.  I just never dug political types.  I
end up rubbing elbows with a bunch of them here in DC.  I find their
spin wars too anti intellectual to hold my interest.  They are
participating in a type of power struggle that I can't relate to.
Likewise, they cannot imagine playing blues on the banks of the
Potomac all afternoon.

Back to my misogyny lesson.  The style of power exemplified by some
American women is unique to our country according to women that I have
dated from Russia, South America and Asia.  They have a strong
reaction to the masculinized style of some women who have attempted to
push into male dominated areas.  They have told me that the form of
American feminism they have seen is destructive to the style of power
that women in their own cultures exhibit.

Now I get it that here in the US woman are in a double bind.  To
compete with men they end up taking on a style that minimizes their
femininity.  But is isn't always the case.  Here in DC women dominate
much of high tech management and many of them do it without adapting
the harsh strident speech that I was complaining about.  They do it
with a feminine power.  Guys aren't going to stop focusing on tone
when it comes off like their mother's scolding.  It may be a pain in
the ass for woman to be sensitive to this in men, but there it is.

I also know that this post is riddled with the kind of thoughtless
phrases that you complained about.  But that is cool if you'll hang
with me a bit.  I appreciate that you get my intention not to be too
much of a dick about women.  I am a big fan of your gender!!