On Apr 28, 2008, at 1:34 PM, John wrote:

Why is the idea that the universe is a random place
where stuff can just happen so threatening to some?

Sal

You're assuming that you know the answer, Sal.

Not at all.

Who told you that the universe is random?

Nobody.  It's just personal observation.

If you have convinced yourself this generalization,
how do you know you're right?

I have not convinced myself of it, nor do I have any
particular stake in being right.  I'd like to be
wrong, in fact.  It's just that personal observation
and a lifetime of experience tell me I'm probably not.

Did someone from the
cosmos reveal this secret to you?

No.

Sal