I agree with the Edg's premise (quoted below) that it is VERY DIFFICULT
for a white person to know what it is to be black, but I disagree that
a white person cannot possibly know what it is to be hurt, brainwashed,
intimidated, forced, challenged, tortured, and negated.

Separate point ~~ I can often pick out from a distance the difference
between an American black and a foreign black (esp from Africa).
Blacks raised in the U.S. have an internal tension and defensiveness
that foreign-born-and-raised blacks don't show.  That tension shows in
their posture and body language.  This is such a sad statement about
how their environment affects them.  I am not assigning blame with that
statement, just observing that their environment, due to all the causes
that shape it, causes a lot of tension within them.

Another separate point ~~ Reincarnation (I'm *exploring* this, not
making a case for reincarnation) would make it possible for a white to
have been an American black in a past life, and therefore feel in their
bones or their genes or soul or wherever it shows up, the tension,
fear, anger (WRATH!), suspicion, that accumulates over a lifetime.

~ Spiritkin