--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "ispiritkin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Separate point ~~ I can often pick out from a distance the
> difference between an American black and a foreign black
> (esp from Africa). Blacks raised in the U.S. have an internal
> tension and defensiveness that foreign-born-and-raised blacks
> don't show. That tension shows in their posture and body language.
> This is such a sad statement about how their environment affects
> them.

Trying my best to stay out of the puerile "nigger"
thang, I don't think your generalization is general
enough, ispiritkin. It's Americans, period, who
move like they've got a permanent stick up their
butts and a shitload of fear on their shoulders.

Just ask any European, or someone like me who lives
here. You can pick out the Americans from 100 feet
away, just by the way they walk and move.

My phrase for it is that they are not comfortable
in their bodies. They don't have an "easy relation-
ship" with their bodies; they're always in a fight
with them, as if they don't trust them, or as if
they don't trust the other bodies around them.

It's difficult to explain to someone who lives in
the U.S. and doesn't get out of it much, but it's
something that becomes remarkably apparent when
you travel. Because I have dogs and walk them, I
liken it to the difference between healthy, happy
dogs and how they relate to other dogs and...uh...
less happy, less secure dogs who have to snarl at
or distrust all other dogs. It's a really bizarre
phenomenon to watch in dogs, and even more bizarre
in humans, and I get to watch it all the time,
because I live in a tourist town that gets its
share of American tourists, even with the dollar
in the toilet.

So that's my only real point -- that *Americans*
period don't look or move as if they are comfortable
with themselves, or their selves. But for fun I'll
add a personal story to your stories of what it
might be like to grow up black in America. I had a
friend in the Rama trip who was black. Young, hand-
some, well-dressed and well-educated, and a certi-
fiable genius with computers and AI software. He
made more money in a month than most of the people
around him made in a year, and was never the least
bit ostentatious about it. His vibe was reserved
but friendly and outgoing, once he got to know you.

Being white, I never quite understood the reserve
until we went postering for an upcoming Rama talk
one day on and around a Connecticut college campus.
We were both taking time off from our Day Jobs to
do this, so we were both wearing business suits.
So I got to watch the *reactions* of people when
we walked into their offices or places of business
(only the ones that had posters already displayed
and thus were likely to put up one more) to ask
them, as politely as possible, if they'd put up
one of ours.

I would walk in and the people in the office would
be all smiles. Koan (his spiritual name) would walk
in and the guys would frown and the women would hide
their purses. I learned a lot that day about what it
must be like to be black in America.

We lost touch when I bailed from the Rama trip, but
then I ran into him again years later, after he had
been living and consulting in Paris. Because at the
time I was considering moving to Paris, I asked him
what it was like for him to live there. He tried not
to, being a guy and all, but he got a little teary,
and then recovered enough to say, "It's the first
place I've ever lived in my life where no one looks
at me and immediately thinks 'Nigger.'"

I've since lived in Paris, and I understand. Being
black means nothing in Paris. It isn't a positive
and it isn't a negative; it just makes you one more
guy or gal on the street.